Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reflection on Web Conferencing

Web conferencing is a tool that can either be very effective or a complete waste of time. During my course on technology through Lamar University, I have experienced both scenarios.

The first time I attended a web conference I was very pleased to learn that I had done the assignment correctly. This was a blessing because I was having severe computer challenges (with both my internet and Lamar's library) and had contacted my teacher assistant to talk about the challenges and my concerns about being able to complete the class. The webinar helped me better understand what was being asked of me and clarify the assignment that I had recently turned in.

The second time I attempted to attend a web conference, there seemed to be a lot of technical difficulties not just from me, but from the other students as well. I did not have a lot of time that particular evening and after several attempts at the webinar, I simply chose not to participate.

In the business world I have utilized webinars for national training events, product upgrades, and simply to teach or learn more about a topic that was being offered at my company. The benefit is there; however, it is important that the host be prepared and the technology backbone be in place before the webinar can be as successful as the host intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment