Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Action Research Plan

Goal:
Reduce the amount of students tardy to class while increasing the amount of time each student spends in class.
Outcome:
Reduce the amount of students roaming the halls during class, reduce the amount of interuptions to class, provide a clear, consistent means of tracking tardies, provide more consistent discipline for the students, and increase security in the school.
Wondering:
Are there any proven systems in place at other high schools, dealing with tardies, that help reduce the amount of children roaming the halls and increase the amount of time students spend in classrooms, while reducing the amount of work placed on the teacher and providing more consistent discipline for the students?

Action Steps Person Responsible Timeline Resouces needed Evaluation
1.Determine research topic Sheila Hyde Jul-10 email receive guidance from principal

2.Identify school districts similar to ours Sheila Hyde Jul-10 Internet follow timeline

3.Identify software programs available for tracking tardies - or if our current system would work. Sheila Hyde Aug-10 Internet follow timeline

4.Create a survey for the teachers to see if they believe there is a need for such a system Sheila Hyde Aug-10 Survey monkey Share questions and answers with site supervisor

5.Create question set to ask/send to principals so that information gathered will be consistent Sheila Hyde August - Novemeber 2010 Internet/ phone Develop rubric to help chart responses.

6.Evaluate Data collected through interviews and online research Sheila Hyde December 2010- January 20111 Computer/Internet/Email Develop rubric to help chart responses.

7.Identify gaps or patterns in data Sheila Hyde/Elise Curry January - March 2011 previously collected information, charts, and rubrics. Use charts and responses to locate gaps or patterns.

8.Determine direction/action needed Sheila Hyde/Elise Curry Mar-11 time with mentor work with mentor to determine best solution for our school.

9.Create summary and action reccommended to present to Principal Sheila Hyde March-May 2011 Word and Excel Have mentor review and approve reccommendation prior to sending to head principal.

4 comments:

  1. This seems to be a good plan that covers your research, analysis, and presentation.

    I would consider gathering data from your students, especially if you are a high school. Why are they habitually tardy or in the halls? Do the teachers not follow your current policy? If you find a reliable group of students you may get a wealth of information and a different perspective.

    I also like the research you will do on software programs. I would like to know which programs you like after your research.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school also has a major problem with Tardies. I've actually been considering changing my ARP to address this issue. One thing that I've certianly seen is that not all teachers follow the policy and therefore students generally fall to the lowes Common denominator. As much as it would be great if every teacher did what was expected of them I believe that at a large school with 100+ teachers it is impractical to think that this will ever happen. For this reason I believe the only way to effectively curb the issue of tardies is to take it out of the hands of the teachers as much as possible. I know this sort of "lets them off the hook" but after all it's about the students and getting them to class. As well as keeping the hallways safe.

    If you get this message would you mind commenting on my blog. I really need some input for this weeks assignment. Thanks. http://kyle-actionresearch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, tardies is always a major concern at most schools and all research into the matter can be beneficial to all of us. I don't know if you've look into these possible solutions, but here are a couple of things I've seen have positive results at a couple of the schools I've worked at in the past. First, check to see how many teachers are in the hall during the passing period. If the principals hold the teachers accountable for being in the halls and getting the kids to class, the number of tardies will go down. The next one is going to sound a little crazy. I worked at a 5A high school in the metroplex and at teacher in-service they told us that the kids would be allowed to listen to their ipods during the passing period. I was shocked the first day of school. The halls were almost silent, because all the kids were listening to their music and they went straight to class. The principal told the student body that as long as tardy totals remained almost non-existent, they would be allowed to use their ipods. I thought it was a crazy idea, but thinking outside the box apparently worked in that situation. Good luck on your research. Look forward to seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete